Niue Island Organic Farmers Association
The Niue Island Organic Farmers Association (NIOFA) was developed by farmers of Niue with the support from the Government of Niue. NIOFA’s main focus is to promote the concept of organic farming in Niue. It was formed in the year 2000 by a handful of dedicated farmers, with a passion to adopt and promote organic farming as the way forward.
Organic free island by 2020
- Promoting organic production methods to farmers
- Coordinating the formation of farmer groups
- Developing a database to record details of the individual farmers and farmer members of groups
- Training of persons buying, transporting, storing and processing products in organic standards
- IC audits of systems and processes maintained by producers
- Radio programmes
- Land clearing and preparations
- Compost making at demonstration farm
- National show days
- Family activities including planting fruit trees
- Mentoring and field training
Organic vanilla, noni, honey.
To be advised
P.O Box 74
T: (683) 4032 or 4366 or 4504
F: (683) 4079
At the national show day in 2014, NIOFA operated a stall of all organic produce. 2014 was also the Year of Family Farming. A number of events were held in Niue to mark 2014 as the Year of Family Farming. NIOFA was the only organic entry in a family farming competition, winning third place, with the other entrants practising conventional farming methods. The product range includes tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, taro, yam, tapioca, and vanilla. Most are sold locally. Organic vanilla is exported to niche markets in New Zealand and the Cook Islands.